[Xastir] USB on Linux for TNC

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jun 11 12:29:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:34:25PM -0400, Rich Garcia wrote:
> >
> > Is there a Easy way to shut off the Mouse and Keyboard USB support
> > without rebuilding the kernel ? I don't need it, it would be faster on
> > startup, less resources used and also possibly less of a chance of
> > conflicts that I am apparently receiving with the keyboard/mouse.
>
> Try 'rmmod usbkbd ; rmmod usbmouse'.
>
> If they are included as modules (which is the case in the stock Debian
> kernels I use), rmmod will shut them off.  If that works, you can
> reconfigure whatever is used to load modules initially to remove those
> references.

Hard-core method:  Go into /lib/modules/<kernel-version> and rename
those modules to something slightly different.  That way the kernel
won't be able to find them to load.

Yea, I drive a stick-shift too...

P.S.  You might want to have an alternate boot method in case you
really screw something up.  Perhaps the keyboard and/or mouse
drivers NEED to be loaded for some reason.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin