[Xastir] More DRG Questions

Josh Keller jeepin95 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 21:33:37 EST 2004

If this is getting old I'm sorry, tell me to stop and I'll stop asking
questions here.

I've found some files from the BLM which use UTM data instead of Oregon
Lambert, so the coordinates are fine, however all of the other information
that seems to be required is not present in the geotiff. I've got it
working, but would like to clean things up, here is what I currently have to
do to make a map work.

1. I did listgeo > info.txt on a working file to get all of the other
metadata into a text file, I only did this once, I reuse info.txt for all of
the next steps.

2. I do listgeo filename.tif for each file, and copy and paste the
coordinates into info.txt from step one, then save info.txt

3. I do -c none geotifcp -g info.txt filename.tif workingfile.tif

This makes me a perfectly working file that loads up in Xastir great. The
only problem is that this tif is 23MB vs the 5MB original using PackBit
compression, and I would like to use the smaller files. I've attempted to
use -c zip:1, -c lzw, -c jpeg, and -c packbits with the following results.

-c lzw is of course no longer supported

-c zip:1 writes the file, makes it nice and small, but when it comes to
xastir the image will not load and says that compression doesn't support
random access

-c zip, same as previous problem

-c jpeg results in a JPEGLib: Bogus input colorspace error and does not
write the new tif

-c packbits results in the same error from Xastir as with -c zip, doesn't
support random access

-c none works beautiful, only downside is the 23MB images

Anybody know what could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Josh Keller