[Xastir] APRS with non APRS equiped stations ?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 15 23:30:16 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Wes Johnston wrote:

> Just thinking aloud.... if you were to have a text file that contained one line
> per 100 feet of $GPGGA data (or other lat/lon data), then your tracking program
> would would simply have to lookup the correct line inthe text file.  It is
> entirely possible to set a GPS to record points based on distance.  All the
> program needs to do (note how I say that as if I could actually write it!!) is
> calc distance traveled based on time and then divide by 100 feet, fetch that
> line from the file and display the object at that point.  Easy eh?
>
> Heck that would even work for laps around the same course.... just drive the
> course with your GPS ahead of time and transfer the bread crumb trail points to
> the text file.
>
> Something I do know how to write would be a program that would take arbitrary
> points from a GPS $GPxxx file, interpolate between the points and output the
> lat/lon of each 100 foot marker.  Then the recorded data density wouldn't
> matter... record at any time or distance interval and my program (which has not
> been written) would output a text file with markers every XX feet.

Let me see if I can throw this thread way off track:  Why couldn't
you drive the course ahead-of-time with a GPS, recording the track.
Then plug the GPS into Xastir, put the GPS into simulator mode and
track-back mode (Garmin), and have the GPS "drive" around the course
at whatever speed you want?

Is that kinda what you're after?  I've used my Garmin GPS-II+ quite
a bit in that mode to test various Xastir/GPS features.  You can set
your speed and change it at any time.  The most difficult part might
be jumping ahead/behind to a new spot if you get off from the lead
runner's position too much.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer