[Xastir] maps, etc

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 26 18:23:13 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, James Jolin wrote:

> I have been following the threads about map problems, but so far I still
> don't get it.  I tried a site for Wiscosin maps, but I got a error
> message.  I tried tigermaps, but nothing would download (nothing in
> xastir/tmp.  Tried to check line 833 in xastir/src/map_geo.c, but I
> don't know what I am seeing.  Some lines start with //.  Is that the
> same as #?  Ran debug, but here again  I really don't know what I am
> seeing. I do have the run.log file..ImageMagick does seem to work by
> itself.  My version of xastir is 1.3.1. Using suse 9

Have you done the online update for SuSE 9?  It seems there are a
few updates every week.  If you haven't done that before, get the
latest SuSE 9.0 updates installed.

I'm also running SuSE 9.0, and am one of the Xastir developers.  All
of the optional libraries are installed and working for me, so you
should be able to do the same.

What _does_ work in terms of maps on your system?  Have you tried
Dos/WinAPRS maps, pocketAPRS maps, GNIS maps?  All of those are
supported by default with no additional libraries required in Xastir
to support them.  You might try some of those first to make sure
that the generic map stuff is working for you.  Add the maps to your
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory, then reindex maps in order
to have them show up in the map chooser.

Do you have a /usr/local/xastir/maps directory on your system?  If
so, you were running Xastir before we made a change in the directory
structure and you'll need to run the migration scripts to convert
both your map directory and your Xastir config files over to the new
system.

Another possibility is that you might have maps getting loaded on
top of other maps, obscuring what's underneath.  For testing
purposes just select one map at a time in the Map Chooser.

As far as tigermap.geo/ terraserver.geo/ toposerver.geo/
USRadar.geo/ CanadaTopo50k.geo/ CanadaTopo250k.geo, you'll need to
be looking at the part of the earth that those maps cover, else
Xastir will skip loading them entirely.  Xastir keeps track of the
extents of each map and refused to load those that don't fit in the
current view.

It's been long enough between e-mails from you that I've since
forgotten what your configuration was.  Can you tell us what
Help->About says, the line that begins with "Libraries used:"?