[Xastir] What is wrong with this packet?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 6 00:43:44 EDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Michael J. Wolthuis wrote:

> The following packet is our local largest digi, however, it comes through
> fine on Findu, but it does not show up on my Xastir box.  Note, if I watch
> the TCP incoming data it does see it from the Igate, just doesn't plot it.
> Here is the string:
>

> W8LRC>APRS,KC8LJC-10,WIDE2*,qAo,N9UOF-1:!4259.42NN08522.35W_#PHG7430 Eastern Kent County Digi R,W,WX,MI
                                                  ^^
There's your problem.  Findu should be rejecting it as well.  It's a
malformed packet.

To test, create a log file with that exact packet, then another with
a '/' instead of that second 'N' character.  You can suck each of
those into Xastir separately.  The one with the '/' will probably
display properly, unless there's something else wrong with the
packet I didn't catch the first time around.

Oh yea, the '#' in front of the PHG7430 is also incorrect.  It needs
to be gone as well.  PHG is supposed to be attached to the end of
the position part of the packet, in this case the '_' is the symbol,
and the "PHG" should be right after that.

You can download the APRS spec from the www.tapr.org site in PDF
format and check things like this out for yourself.  I of course
have a copy of it at work, a copy of it at home, and even a
converted text copy of it on my PDA.  ;-)

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer