[Xastir] Census 2004 Shapefiles/dbfawk question

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Sep 3 20:05:03 EDT 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 01:41:54PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rbutler at tsss.org> flavor, containing:
> >
> > My question is,  does the shapefile not include the county and city
> > boundary shapes in the shapefiles?  I figured they'd be the
> > jurisdictional boundaries or map edges (for each count) but I can't seem
> > to get them displayed.
>
> No, the shapefiles don't include the city and county boundaries.

As far as the county boundaries, download the c_16mr06 shapefile (or
newer one) and use it as a map.  You might already have it loaded in
your /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties directory as it is one of the
files used for weather alerts.  What I do is make a link from
somewhere in my maps directory to that "Counties" directory, so I
only have to have one copy of the maps on my disk.  It'll then show
up in the Map Chooser after you reindex.

> If anyone who has more
> knowledge of TIGER structure than I do can figure it out then that script
> could be tweaked and the shapefiles regenerated.

At one point I had a bit of knowledge of the Tiger structure, when I
did the GDAL code to decode it.  Most of that is lost now I'm sure,
but it's still in the code!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer