[Xastir] Re: using the modprobe ax25 and Xastir

Neville A. Cross neville at guegue.com
Fri Dec 21 20:52:15 EST 2007

Curt, WE7U wrote:

> AX.25 kernel ports require root access, so you need to do the "chmod
> 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" command as root in order to give Xastir
> SUID Root privileges.  Xastir only uses the root privileges when it
> needs to, reducing it's privileges to a normal user when it doesn't.
> That's of course if you do the chmod command and then run Xastir as
> a normal user, which is the correct way.
>
> Also:  You don't tell Xastir to use the ttyS? port, as that port is
> already tied up by the kissattach command.  What you do is create an
> "AX.25 TNC" interface in Xastir and have it use the name you gave
> the AX.25 networking port.  "ax0" appears to be what you used above.
> I last used "aprs" as the name in "axports" for mine.

<snip>

The comments from Curt where right on target. The chmod command is a
little obscure for a beginner. I understand what I did, but I did have
any clue that it was needed, or if somebody told me to give root access
to xastir I will not know how to do it.

Regarding the set up of one interface "AX.25 TNC" for the ax25
networking port, I felt dumb as it was more o less obvious. I ask for
tolerance towards a beginner in linux and Xastir.

Thanks for the good will and the help, specially to curt who give me the
answer when I explained more in detail my problem.

I still kept my general offer to write some help for others.

Neville - YN1V
Sysop of YN1BBS