[Xastir] Station Clear Times

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 21 14:07:14 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:00:12AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ve7did at dccnet.com> flavor, containing:
> Has the peculiarity of the station clear times been resolved in the past
> little while?
> Running 1.9.2 from Nov 6th.
>
> Station Delete Time > 1 day,   Station Clear Time > 8 hrs
> Still seeing stations longer than 8 hours on the screen and a few stations on
> View > All Stations longer than 1 day.
> Not running any objects.

This is a sign that there is more than one thing that can trigger a known bug.

There is a bug in the handling of the time-sorted list in which something can
cause the time sorting to be broken.  One way to make this happen is to create
an object then delete it.  But there must be others, because it keeps cropping
up.  There is a place or two where it appears that code was introduced that
deliberately inserts something in the time-sorted list in a position other than
its rightful place, and this completely hoses the expiration logic.  That
logic stops looking back in the list when it finds something too new to
expire, because everything after that is presumed to be newer.  When the
sorted list has something new that is way out of place among things that
are very old, it never recovers.

What is required is for someone to go through the code and figure out what it
is that is inserting things in the wrong place (and keeping them there), and
fix it.