[Xastir] Water/hydrology shapefiles for Canada?

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 22 00:52:22 EDT 2007

On 9/21/07, Joe Veldhuis <electrode at garandnet.net> wrote:

> I also took the one that James posted for the Geobase.ca road maps and
> hacked at it a bit. My goal was to make them look the same as the Tiger road
> maps, and that's pretty much what it does, although it doesn't correctly set the
> street labels yet. It might only work with the ON map, as that's the one I'm
> working with (going by James' call, his was probably based on the headers for
> the AB map).

I would like to get the output looking like the Tiger Maps as well,
but have found that a little difficult, as you need more information
than just road data. A hydrology layer would be second on my list,
followed by land use such as parks and other polygons.

The dbfawk that I sent you just barely started to make the roads show
up with slightly different attributes. I found it difficult to tailor
the output nicely as the road classifications can make it difficult. A
ramp can be a turn lane separated from the main traffic lanes on a
residential street by an island right up to mile long stretches of
primary highway on/off ramps. Trying to find a happy medium where you
aren't driving in a field at 110 km/hr, but still don't have inner
city turn lanes showing up at wide zoom levels is difficult.

I never even took a stab at trying to parse out road names.

James
VE6SRV