[Xastir] Xastir as root?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 23 10:23:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:

> Using Xastir with an ax.25 interface requires that it be "set UID root"
> as described in the INSTALL document.
>
>   sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/xastir
>
> This gives Xastir the root permissions it needs to access the ax.25 kernel
> interface at start-up.

Soundmodem can also be configured as a serial KISS TNC, in which
case the usual permissions for the port apply.  In this case you can
only attach one program to it at a time.  If it's configured as an
AX.25 port, multiple programs can use it at once.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer