[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 00:59:37 EDT 2009

--- On Sun, 8/2/09, Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
> How to get the warning disseminated in all its various
> forms was something we struggled with. I was the only
> non-NWS guy on the committee, and we still meet
> periodically, and worry about these things.  Using an
> expanded FIPS code provides more info by decimating the
> county into 9 sectors:

[big snip]

I don't mean to imply the switch was a bad idea.  In fact, the list you give does present a lot of interesting options for the utility of the switch.  I just wanted to point out the one thing that stopped working after the switch which I used a lot.  I lived in Atlanta until early this year.  Anytime a storm was moving through, several local I-gates were broadcasting the WXSVR packets and the coding allowed the FIPS codes to be visible in the extended view of the packet (before the switch of course).   I have a workaround which is to spin the VFO over to NOAA radio when I see an alert and then just listen to the automated broadcast so it's not impossible.