[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Dec 18 08:02:50 EST 2009

Here's my opinion. We, as a group, should only focus on VMware. If
individuals want to go and use other virtualization engines, that's
fine. The reason is simple.

VMware is by far the leader. It is the only virtualization engine for
most of the commercial enterprises and government entities not only in
the U.S., but throughout the world.

I am in IT sales and every company and government entity I work with is
deploying or has deployed VMware alone.

Why is this important? Simply, you follow the leader. In 25+ years of IT
sales I have seen great technologies come and go usually because they
could not establish a large market presence. Doesn't mean their
technology was inferior to the leader, it just means that they could
never get critical mass to keep their product viable.

VMware is clearly the leader and we should stick with the leader since
their chance of long term viability is greater than those technologies
that are not being widely used.

On another note, someone made a comment about registering an account now
in order to download VMware. It used to be that you could download
"player" without an account, but you needed to get a serial number to
activate Player. Now you don't and that method is preferable to having
to enter serial numbers. Once downloaded, you can install at will
without needing multiple serial numbers. I much prefer their new method.

JMHO

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com