[Xastir] Is there any one version of Linux better than another for xastir ?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:24:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, ml41782 wrote:

> I have had issues in the past loading up xastir to linux mint. I have had issues
> now with ubuntu 10  loading up xastirs and now ax25 issues with mkiss and the
> kpc9612. I went to the linux ax25 group and downloaded the latest ax25 tools and
> library that didn't help either.
>
> I ready to dump and start over again.

Hmmm.  I think most of the Linux users are probably using Ubuntu or
Kubuntu, then maybe Fedora.  I happen to use OpenSuSe (11.2 64-bit
right now, but I hear 11.3 is out).

I've had Xastir running on Red Hat Linux (before it split into
Fedora and RHEL), Slackware, SuSE, and Solaris.

I believe the install on OpenSuSE is fairly simple.  On 11.2 I'm
using all of the default packages brought in via YaST2 (the package
manager front-end GUI).  It's kind'a nice not having to install all
the dependencies from source these days so I can concentrate just on
Xastir.  Of course I bastardize OpenSuSE a bit by running a very
old-style window manager instead of KDE or Gnome.

So...  There's one vote.  I'm sure there will be others with
different opinions.

I think it's good to find a distribution you're comfortable with in
terms of how they do their package management, how stable they are,
what packages (that you personally need) are or are not available,
then stick with them for a while and work through the particular
issues that OS might have.  They all have warts.  I've seen some
people get into the flavor-of-the-week mode and never get out of the
demolish/install a new Linux distribution/test/demolish loop 'cuz
they don't stick with one distribution long enough to become
comfortable.