[Xastir] tamu down Tiger2006SE alternatives?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:47:22 EST 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Kurt Savegnago wrote:

>  Is it possible to cache the online Tiger maps for use offline or
>  is that not possible?

The online Tigermap server uses old map data, but I wouldn't
recommend caching raster maps when vector maps were available
anyway.  The don't scale well plus they take up inordinate amounts
of space.

If you're after street maps, download the latest Tiger Shapefile
data available.  You'll need to get dbfawk compiled into Xastir and
make sure you find/download/create the dbfawk files that apply to
your Tiger data version.  There was some discussion about this a
while back so hopefully you can find dbfawk files that apply without
having to create them from scratch.

If you run into trouble, ask on this list.