[Xastir] Compile error with current cvs

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed May 16 12:19:50 EDT 2012

Last night, I decided to update my installation, so I did a cvs update and
recompile.  TO my surprise, the compile failed with the following:

gcc  -g -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-unused-parameter -pthread -Wl,--no-keep-memory -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -o xastir alert.o awk.o bulletin_gui.o color.o datum.o
db.o db_gis.o dbfawk.o draw_symbols.o fcc_data.o festival.o fetch_remote.o
geo-find.o geocoder_gui.o gps.o hashtable.o hashtable_itr.o hostname.o
igate.o interface.o interface_gui.o io-common.o io-mmap.o lang.o
list_gui.o locate_gui.o location.o location_gui.o main.o maps.o
map_cache.o map_dos.o map_gdal.o map_geo.o map_gnis.o map_OSM.o map_pop.o
map_pdb.o map_shp.o map_tif.o map_tiger.o map_WMS.o messages.o
messages_gui.o objects.o popup_gui.o rac_data.o rotated.o rpl_malloc.o
shp_hash.o snprintf.o sound.o tile_mgmnt.o track_gui.o util.o
view_message_gui.o wx.o wx_gui.o x_spider.o xa_config.o compiledate.o
-Lrtree -lrtree  -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype
-ljasper -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz
-lm -lgomp -lpthread -lltdl -ldb-4.8 -lrt -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext -lm -lSM
-lICE -lX11 -lcurl -lshp -lpcre -lproj -lax25
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible rtree/librtree.a when searching for
-lrtree
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrtree
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [xastir] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)  with the ubuntugis ppa enabled:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu lucid main

   When I search synaptic for rtree, the only reference I find is for an
index type within PostgreSQL, and possibly its header files in libpq-dev,
which is at v8.4.11 on my system.  That package came from the Ubuntu
repositories, not the ppa.

...there's also an rtree subdirectory within the xastir source itself, and
make traversed this directory, but decided to do nothing:

Making all in rtree
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src/rtree'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rtg/xastir/src/rtree'

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009