[Xastir] No stations

Clay Jackson n7qnm-lists at nwlink.com
Fri Mar 7 13:40:48 EST 2014

Comment on the Viscous-Delay -

I can definitely see where it could be over-used.  But, I think it's useful
in "fill-in" situations like mine. I'm 50+ miles from the nearest "mountain
top" digi, AND, in the winter, subject to NASTY inversions that basically
"trap" 2M signals below 300' AGL.   I have a low power (500 mW - N7QNM-10)
weather station (completely solar) that absolutely can't get out during
inversions.   But, if it's clear, I routinely hit two digi's at 52 and 87
miles.   So, if either of the other two digis hears me and repeats, there's
very little point in my transmitting as well, 99% of the people that can
hear me direct can also hear one or both of those digis.   On the other
hand, in just time time I've been running (about a month), I've noticed a
pretty dramatic "increase" in APRS "hits" along I-82 between Yakima and
Benton City.  Interestingly enough, what I see happening is that I'll hear
someone, see their packet getting repeated by one of the mountaintops and
then wind up iGating the repeated packet.

I think the bottom line is that folks who want to operate digis (especially;
but really EVERYONE who operates APRS) really need to be familiar with their
local area AND have a pretty good understanding of "How stuff works".   I
know I've learned more about paths and such since I started operating a
digi.

Clay
N7QNM