[Xastir] Tutorial?

Mike M kf7mbk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:48:36 EST 2015

I'm about ready to jump off a bridge.  I get ham radio is all about
learning, but this whole map deal makes me want to give up the hobby.

I am about at hour 5 of playing around with xastir and still have nothing
but the default (and useless) world map.  None of the built in online maps
work.

After lots of hair pulling I find out that the OSM map server has long
since disappeared.  2 hours wasted trying to figure out why it was saying
it was loading tiles but no tiles ever ended up in the cache.

I have an osm map file I use with aprsdroid of the whole US.  I thought I
could use this file.  45 minutes googling and searching the file system to
figure out where to put it (every site I went to told me something
different, and where it actually was wasn't any of them), dumped the .map
file in there, reindexed and the map does not appear in the list.  The
folder I put it in does, but not the map.  Does xastir not support these
types of files?

Is there an up to date tutorial on how to get maps working?

Thanks
-Mike
KF7MBK