[Xastir] GeoTIFF USTopo DRGs Available for Washington State

Brian Heaton geekdownrange at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 19:15:56 EST 2015

At the zoom levels where 24K maps make sense, I don't see more than ~4 maps
being loaded at a time. I tried them at 250DPI. The TIFFs were definitely
smaller and the processing went faster, but the contour lines looked pretty
jagged at decent zoom levels.

Based on the discussion earlier, I took a look at the SRTM1v3 dataset for
creating shapefiles of contour lines. I randomly chose a 1x1 degree tile
and followed the instructions on OSM (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contours ). The 10 meter contour lines
shapefile was 1.7G. I've not tried it again with an SRTM3 file. Hopefully
either SRTM3 output shapefiles will either be much smaller or I can figure
out how to break them into smaller areas.

73-KY9K/Brian

--