[Xastir] Maps

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 9 16:31:24 EDT 2015

That's one snag with Xastir now.  No easy method for obtaining and converting map files for offline use by inexperienced users.  I have some of the old 2009? or 08 cloudmade maps I still use and severalof the old 2006 Tiger maps.  They are no longer available for download for the "hacking impaired".They were plug n' go mapsets for offline use.
YAAC can use the geofabrik .osm.bz2 files to create an offline mapset.  I let the program run overnite to importthe data for the whole of north america.
A neophyte can fiddle with the maps from within YAAC without too much trouble.
But......................... I still like Xastir a little bit better as there are more tricks it can do as opposed to YAAC when it comes to tracking.
One big one is injecting an incoming NMEA GPS datastream as if it's APRS packet data.
Kurt KC9LDH