[Xastir] Undoing get-maptools

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 16 22:25:23 EDT 2016

The easy answer to this is not to run get-maptools.sh.

We need to get rid of get-maptools.sh.  It is an ancient relic of the days
when few Linux systems provided libraries that Xastir needs, and those days
are long gone.

It tries to download and install from source several libraries that are years
out of date.

These versions are:

http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pcre/pcre-6.3.tar.gz
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/shapelib-1.2.10.tar.gz
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/proj/proj-4.4.9.tar.gz
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/geotiff/libgeotiff/libgeotiff-1.2.3.tar.gz
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gdal/gdal-1.3.2.tar.gz

All of these have much more recent versions in package managers.  pcre is
past version 8.37 now, shapelib is at 1.3.0, libgeotiff is 1.4.1, and gdal is
already at version 2.0.x.  Proj is at 4.9.1 now.

All references to get-maptools.sh need to be expunged from the docs.
Right now, telling people to run get-maptools.sh is a bum steer that
is likely to be getting them into trouble.  It is very likely that these
old versions (which are surprisingly still downloadable) are interfering
with installed versions, or requiring old dependencies that are no longer
there.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:59:35AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing: