[Xastir] Undoing get-maptools

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 16 23:08:11 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:25:23PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> The easy answer to this is not to run get-maptools.sh.
>
> We need to get rid of get-maptools.sh.  It is an ancient relic of the days
> when few Linux systems provided libraries that Xastir needs, and those days
> are long gone.
[...]
> All references to get-maptools.sh need to be expunged from the docs.
> Right now, telling people to run get-maptools.sh is a bum steer that
> is likely to be getting them into trouble.  It is very likely that these
> old versions (which are surprisingly still downloadable) are interfering
> with installed versions, or requiring old dependencies that are no longer
> there.

Lest someone else be bitten by the get-maptools.sh script, I've removed it
and all references to it from the Xastir source tree.  While I was at it,
I removed "get_shapelib.sh" which is even more out of date.  Both scripts
were written in the 2005-2006 range, and have not had any update since 2008.
The source code they try to install has been updated very often since
then.

I do not have time to go through the Xastir wiki and find all the places
where it was recommended that these scripts be run.  Those need to be
found and eradicated.

BTW, there is no reason for most Xastir users to install GDAL just for Xastir
use.  Xastir makes essentially no use of this library, and it just complicates
your dependencies (and really complicates it, including pulling in, for
example, jasper, to merge another thread into this one).  GDAL command line
tools are useful to have for conversion of map data from one format to
another, if that is something you need to do --- some scripts in Xastir do
invoke these tools, and if you need those you need GDAL.  The library is also
used by major GIS tools, but the support for it in Xastir never got beyond the
exploratory phase.