[Xastir] RasPi upgrade continued ...

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Sun Aug 27 19:31:24 PDT 2017

More to the saga.
I'd thought the disappeary-most of the Panel might have been my Pi's
setup - I'd set the screen resolution via the Configuration Manager to
CEA Mode 31. I found /boot/config.txt set to this where I'd usually set
it *there* to mode 16. The difference is only 60Hz vs 50Hz, so that
wasn't it (it didn't *look* different).
It seems xastir is fixated on having the Panel at the bottom of the
screen. Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) normally sets up with the Panel at the
top, and one gets used to it, if only as a point of difference. This
means that a fresh install of xastir will stoke up sitting at the top of
the screen, obliterating the Panel, and leaving room below where it
assumes the Panel will be. None of the Pi's Panel menus are then
available, including the ability to sanely shut down/reboot! That can of
course be accomplished by Ctrl-Alt-F2..6 and e.g. 'sudo reboot now' at
the new login and command line, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Having dragged the xastir window down to reveal the Panel and fill the
bottom of the screen, all is now well, but I'd prefer not to be trapped
by this and have to go through the 'hoop-la' at each upgrade (Pi or
xastir). Either is quite likely to be infrequent enough (xastir is still
the long-running 2.0.9!) that one can easily forget and be trapped by
this afresh.
73 de ZL2DEX