[Xastir] Kubuntu_and_ Raspberry Pi build fails

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 24 03:38:39 EST 2015

Continuing the saga:
>> >      The 8GB stick doesn't have enough room to upgrade to 15.10, so I'm
>> >about to create a 15.04 on a HD partition which will. That will tell me
>> >if a 15.04 build will run in 15.10 (will it use the upgraded runtime
>> >libs?).
>      Yep, the 15.04 build runs fine using 15.10  - AFAIK. I did the
> upgrade to 15.10 via the Muon updater's Upgrade, then checked it with
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and that reported no
> issues, but the System Settings > System Info still reports it's 15.04.
> What's the command-line check? There ought to be something that reports
> the true OS, uname -o just reports GNU/Linux, not very helpful.
Sorry, Upgrade not completed at that stage. Now done, and I can report
that the 15.04 CVS build of xastir 2.0.7 will run fine in the
upgraded-to 15.10 system/. /I//initially left the obsoleted packages in
place//. ~/src/xastir/configure reported no graphicsmagick to build
with, so I cleared the obsoleted packages with sudo apt-get autoremove.
There didn't seem to be anything graphics-related there.
    I tried a temporary replacement of the xastir binary in my main
15.10 system, but  the raster maps did not show. Looks like there's a
difference of some sort between the 15.04/15.10 upgraded system and the
straight 15.10.

Raspberry Pi follows similar trend. Wheezy-system CVS build of xastir
2.0.7 runs fine in the upgraded-to-Jessie system, but will not build
with raster maps there.
> ... Anyone point me to a sane method of removing Grub,
> restoring the original MBR? I put the root (MBR) grub on before
> switching to the USB 2 port, so it's superfluous).
Still looking for an answer to this... Anyone???

73 all, and a fine festive season.
Dex, ZL2DEX