[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 186, Issue 1

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 22 17:13:37 EST 2015

On 23/12/15 06:00, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:51:45 +1300
> From: Dexter N Muir<dexy at xtra.co.nz>
> To:xastir at lists.xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Kubuntu_and_  Raspberry Pi build fails
>
> More to the story, folks.
>      The 8GB stick doesn't have enough room to upgrade to 15.10, so I'm
> about to create a 15.04 on a HD partition which will. That will tell me
> if a 15.04 build will run in 15.10 (will it use the upgraded runtime
> libs?).
    Yep, the 15.04 build runs fine using 15.10  - AFAIK. I did the
upgrade to 15.10 via the Muon updater's Upgrade, then checked it with
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and that reported no
issues, but the System Settings > System Info still reports it's 15.04.
What's the command-line check? There ought to be something that reports
the true OS, uname -o just reports GNU/Linux, not very helpful.

    Those who follow here know I boot using a SuiperGrub CD to access my
normal Kubi15.10 sys. That resides on an sda partition, 4 IIRC, and with
its grub on that partition. Without the CD the original Win7 (/10) sys
boots.I've put the 15.04/10 sys on my 2TB USB drive,with its grub on
that partition, in hopes the SuperGrub will pick it up. It does, but
only if I plug that drive into the front-panel USB 2.0 port - and then
the drive shows in the (F9) BIOS Boot selector too. Putting a grub on
the root of this drive lets me boot 15.04/10 from there (without the
SuperGrub), and it shows as a second copy  (by the kernel numbers) in a
SuperGrub boot. Anyone point me to a sane method of removing Grub,
restoring the original MBR? I put the root (MBR) grub on before
switching to the USB 2 port, so it's superfluous).

Hopefully,
Dex, ZL2DEX