Where to Get Maps for Xastir
Xastir has support for internet maps out-of-the-gate, if you compile Image``Magick and either wget or libcurl support into it. You'll have access to these maps:
- Terraserver topographical maps (U.S.)
- Terraserver satellite images (U.S.)
- Radar Weather map (U.S.)
- Toporama 50k topographical maps (Canada)
- Toporama 250k topographical maps (Canada)
Downloadable Local Maps
- Geofabrik.de OSM Maps
- Tigerline Shapefile vector maps
- APRSdos Maps
- WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
- APRSdos/WinAPRS/MacAPRS Maps
- PocketAPRS Maps and More PocketAPRS Maps
- European PocketAPRS Maps
- NOAA Shapefile Maps. Needed for weather alerts to function. Hint: use the get-NWSdata script that's included with Xastir to grab these shapefiles and put them in the proper place. Usage: ./get-NWSdata
- TIGER/Line 2006 Second Edition U.S. street map data in Shapefile format. Requires PCRE and DBFAWK support in Xastir for best rendering.
- TIGER/Line 2003 & 2004 U.S. street map data in Shapefile Format. Requires PCRE and DBFAWK support for best rendering. This data is obsolete and you should probably use the 2006 Second Edition data instead.
- National Atlas Maps. Click on the colored bars to expand the categories and to see full layer descriptions. For some dbfawk files to go with them, see  or 
- NCSU Libraries GIS Data in Shapefile format
- Mapshots: Tiger97 streetmap data in Shapefile format
- GeographyNetwork: Tiger2000 streetmap data in Shapefile format
- Quad Index Shapefile. Shows names of each topo quad.
- World Shapefile. Good all-around world map.
- U.S. State Boundaries. Boundaries for all U.S. States & Selected U.S. Territories.
- IndianaMap. Vector maps for Indiana, hosted by Indiana University. Note: Most of these shapefiles need to be converted to WGS84 Lat/Lon format first; see  for more information.
- GeoBase.ca Free Canadian geographical data in shapelib format. Goto data extraction, then select desired information roadways, elevation, nameplaces for the desired province or location. Once submitted, an email is sent to you with the link to obtain data via FTP. Make certain to select Shape format instead of gml format.
- Geoscience Australia
- wetnet.net Torrent Tracker - Torrents for USGS Topo Maps of NW USA 250k, 100k, 24k. Not complete, as some are lost or corrupt. 24k in 1x1 degree directories Email me if you find problems in any of the files or directories. Torrents also found on Northwest2.APRS.NET Torrent Tracker Posted by Kd7nm 19:30, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
- UI-View Maps or
- UI-View Main Page
- GeoCommunity GeoTIFF format raster maps for most of the US. DRGs are not free downloads, but some of the other data is. The download fee is not very high, and you can purchase full states on DVD-ROM for about $100.
- Libre Map Project. 24k USGS DRG topo maps, some others. Some are non-standard format.
- USGS geoTIFF Maps. Topographic maps. This link is non-functional. Replacement?
- USGS geoTIFF Maps. Topographic maps.
- GIS Data Depot. Topographic maps and others.
- WA State geoTIFF Maps. Topographic maps.
- A few maps from WE7U
- Geo files for U.S. Radar maps
- Geo files for US RIdge Radar maps from K1KWP
- Geo files for U.S. Radar maps
- California DRG. Free GeoTIFF's of California. 24k, 100k, 250k, NAD27 and NAD83, .tif and .tfw. Trimmed and untrimmed. Western parts of Nevada and southern parts of Oregon also. To download, click the Info button, then the map you want.
- Indiana Spatial Data Portal. Raster maps of Indiana, hosted by Indiana University. Topographic DRGs, high-res NAIP aerial photos in GeoTiff format, and more.
- New Mexico Search and Rescue Resources. Free USGS GeoTIFFs of all of New Mexico, in 24k, 100k and 250k. The fgd and tfw files associated with the DRGs are all in nearby "metadata" directories. Courtesy of Search and Rescue volunteers in Los Alamos. Most are in NAD27, a small fraction are in NAD83.
- Utah Division of Water Rights. Free GeoTIFFs of Utah, at 24k, 100k, 250k and 500k, mostly NAD27. Full (untrimmed) and collarless. There's a handy interface to browse the DRGs, and there's information about batch downloads. There are also a few color aerial photographs.
- Europe Maps
- Perry-Casta361eda Library Map Collection Mostly raster, a few links to vector maps.
- EI8IC "HAM Maps" Includes a number of nice world maps in gif format. Trivial .geo files for these maps are available at N8YSZ's Xastir downloads
- Map tiles for Ireland courtsey of EI8IC, .inf and .geo files by John EI7IG
- old format GNIS files with "estimated population" field. These work better for mapping in Xastir, which uses the population estimate to filter populated places at different zoom levels.
- GNIS map data This new data is only usable in very recent versions of Xastir, and is not fully functional due to the missing population counts.
- GNIS map data
- Populated Places GNIS data
- Hint: run the get-gnis script that is included with Xastir to grab your state's GNIS data and put it in the proper location for Xastir to find it. Usage: ./get-gnis ST (where ST is the two-character US state abberviation). If you installed from source, the script is probably in /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/.
Downloadable Local Data
FCC/RAC Ham Lookup Data
- FCC Ham Database
- RAC Ham Database
- Hint: run the get-fcc-rac.pl script that comes with Xastir to grab these files and put them in the right place automatically. If you installed from source, the script is probably in /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/.
Geocode Data. Used for "Find Address" function
- Geocode data to go with 2007 edition TIGER/Line data. You can download one large file for the whole US or smaller files for individual states. These are much more accurate than the 2003 data.
- 2003 U.S. Data