This page hosts user contributed installation guides and HowTo's for various operating systems and distributions.
Note: The system-specific installation notes provided here are community contributions, generally added by someone who used the system in question and wanted to share the install procedure with the user community. They are not all continuously updated by their contributors, and some may be out-of-date (a good clue that a set of instructions is out of date would be any reference to CVS). Please bring outdated instructions to the attention of the user community on the xastir mailing list.
Attention Raspberry Pi enthusiasts! See instructions under "Raspbian" below.
For the impatient
- Barebones Install Guide, compiling from sources
- Android_via_GNUroot_and_XSDL - Installing Xastir using GNUroot & XSDL Xserver
- FreeBSD - Install on FreeBSD
- Install xastir-cvs in the Arch User Repository
- CentOS 6.5 - see the HowTo:Fedora notes, below.
- HowTo:CentOS_5.2 - Installing and tweaking Xastir from source on CentOS 5.2
- HowTo:Debian Stretch or Jessie - How to install XASTIR on Debian Stretch or Jessie from Source via Github
- HowTo:Debian Wheezy Binary - Easy installation of a user provided binary version of XASTIR
- HowTo:Debian Squeeze - How to install XASTIR on Debian Squeeze from Source via Github.
- HowTo:Debian Squeeze Binary - Easy installation of a user provided binary version of XASTIR
- HowTo:Debian Lenny - How to install XASTIR on Debian Lenny from Source via Github.
- HowTo:Ubuntu/Debian - General how to install XASTIR on Ubuntu or Debian based systems. Also see Ubuntu-specific section below.
- Fedora -- use "yum install xastir" (works, but not always the latest features)
- HowTo:Fedora - Installing Xastir from CVS (Fedora 7 through Fedora 20. Also known to work with CentOS and other RedHat like distros.)
- HowTo:AX25_Fedora Using Kernel level AX.25 Network services with Xastir and Fedora (Fedora 9 and later)
- HowTo:Fedora6 - Install FC-6 Linux + Xastir
- GenToo Linux -- use "emerge xastir"
- HowTo:Linux Mint Debian - How to install XASTIR on Linux Mint Debian from Source via CVS.
- HowTo:Linux Mint Debian Binary - Easy install of user provided binary package
- HowTo:Mandriva 2009 - Installation Notes for Mandriva 2009.0 and 2009.1
- HowTo:Mandriva - Installation Notes for Mandriva 2007.1 thru 2008.1
- HowTo:MEPIS 11.0 - Installation Notes for Mepis 11.0
- HowTo:MEPIS 11.0 Binary - Easy Installation of a binary version of Xastir for Mepis 11
- HowTo:MEPIS 8.0 - Installation Notes for Mepis 8.0 or 8.5
- HowTo:OpenSUSE 11.x - Install notes for OpenSuSE-11/12/13/42/15
- HowTo:OpenSUSE 10.2 - How to install on OpenSUSE 10.2 from Git
- Notes:OpenSuse 10.x - Install notes for OpenSuse 10.x
- HowTo:PCLinuxOS 2010 - How to install Xastir from CVS on PCLinuxOS 2010
- HowTo:Raspbian - How to install XASTIR on Raspbian (Stretch or Jessie) from Source via Github
- HowTo:Raspbian Jessie - How to install XASTIR on Raspbian Jessie from Source via Github
- HowTo:Sabayon - Installing Xastir in Sayabon 3.5 from Source
- HowTo:Sidux 2010-01 - Installation Notes for Sidux 2010-01
- HowTo:Ubuntu 14.04-17.04 - How to install Xastir from Github on Ubuntu 14.04 thru 17.04
- HowTo:Ubuntu/Debian - General how to install XASTIR on Ubuntu or Debian based systems.
Mac OS X
There are a few different ways to install on Mac OS X:
- Install VMWare Fusion (Free trial) from VMWare.com and one of the Xastir images from here: VMWare Player Images (via Torrent)
- HowTo:Mac_OSX - install Xastir from source with GraphicsMagick, pcre/dbfawk, libproj and GeoTiff.
- Homebrew - Install Xastir using the Homebrew package management system for dependencies
- Fink - installing using Fink port tools (no detailed instructions listed here yet)
- Macports - install using Macports tools
- MacOSXpackage - install a precompiled binary
- MacOSXsource - build all support packages then xastir from source
- Notes:Mac OSX