Xastir APRS Program
CLICK HERE to switch to encrypted connection (HTTPS).
Xastir provides mapping, tracking, messaging, weather, weather alerts, and Search & Rescue features over radio or internet and runs on a variety of platforms. Xastir is an open source software project maintained by Developers and Contributors from all over the globe, provided free under the GNU General Public License. From its early beginnings, Xastir has evolved into a very robust client with a rich feature set that rivals other APRS clients.
Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) (also known as "Automatic Position Reporting System") is an amateur radio based digital communication system for real-time exchange of digital information to users on the network. APRS was originally developed by Bob Bruninga, WB4APR more than 20 years ago. It has since evolved into a robust system of interconnected networks. Xastir is a computer application that provides client access to this network using the APRS protocol.
Source code is available via Git. This is the guaranteed method of getting an up-to-date version and being able to keep it up-to-date! See "Installation Notes" for your particular operating system in the Documentation section below.
Get a pre-compiled package from your favorite Linux distribution. Sometimes you need to add a "ham" or "hamradio" repository first. NOTE: These binary packages sometimes lag YEARS behind the source-code versions. Your best best is to install Xastir from sources.
This wiki is intended to be a living, user-supported documentation of the Xastir APRS client. The Installation Notes, HowTos, and FAQ are probably the most useful. Subscribe to one or both of the XASTIR MAILING LISTS for more detailed user support.
- Installation Notes: Operating system-specific instructions.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Xastir Tips and Tricks
- XASTIR Manual
- Major Features
- Xastir Article in Linux Journal
- Category Index. All Wiki Pages. All Wiki Pages Ranked By Popularity
- Old Docs page at SourceForge
- Text Docs distributed with Xastir
- Related Links
- XASTIR MAILING LISTS (Note: Free subscription required to post)
- Xastir Main Project page at GitHub
- Xastir Main Project page at SourceForge (old)
- Reporting Bugs and Requesting New Features
- Where to Get Maps
- NOAA Shapefiles for weather alerts
APRS™ is a Trademark of Bob Bruninga
Copyright© 2016 The Xastir Group